Thursday 27 June 2013

A Lucky Break?

So as I mentioned in my first post, I have recently (7th June) broken my wrist. How? Well it wasn't from jumping a whopping great hedge, or being flung from a bucking bronco, it simply happened from putting a horse on a horse walker! Like I have done routinely for the past 5 years of my life! The horse span round as soon as I led her onto the walker, resulting in me getting stuck against the wall and her back end colliding with my wrist. My hand bent back and a very loud 'crack' followed suite! 

So for the past 3 weeks, I have been mostly house bound with my arm in plaster. Although I have a bad fracture through my radius (it leads into the joint) and chipped bits of bone off my ulna, the hospital are pretty certain that no operation will be required, as long as it shows that it is healing. Relief! However depressing it is, things happen for a reason and I need to see the positive side (whatever that may be?!) and concentrate on getting my wrist healed so that I can resume working and of course, riding!

Whilst I've been out of action, my horses have been having a quiet time chilling in the field and enjoying the grass and sunshine! Piper is being ridden twice a week by my instructor (Mel, who  also teaches my mum and sister but I've had a few lessons with) just to keep him ticking over and I am trying when possible to give him a loose school/jump. It's just about do-able as he is a good boy on the ground, I just have to lead him from his offside when handling him.

Mel is enjoying riding Piper and gave him a schooling session on Monday (24th) as our hay had been cut off the field, meaning somewhere to actually trot circles and get a canter going. We have a small sand arena, however it's only really suitable for lunging and loose schooling bigger horses. 

Piper was very good throughout the session especially as he hasn't schooled for about 5 weeks. He was a little stuffy, but that's understandable as he's not as fit as he has been, but in spite of that he was forward going and carried himself in a nice outline the majority of the time. Mel did plenty of canter work, starting on his left rein, and the nicest surprise to me, was that he was dropping down on to the bit and still maintaining forwardness.

I have been a little weak in recent times when cantering him (in the arena) as I still seem to ride him as I did 18 months ago, ie. just one lap, usually in the two-point seat and 'nursing' him round because "he's a green ex-racer". I've become oblivious to how much he has really strengthened physically and learnt mentally! This was the first time he has cantered in a consistent outline and he did so comfortably, and on the right rein he was picking up the correct canter lead nicely after initially favouring his outside leg to start with. 

Lots of pats and kisses were given to Piper afterwards and he looked thoroughly pleased with himself. He's being ridden tomorrow and I imagine that he will go for a nice hack. It's his official birthday on Monday (official as in the day he was born, what with TB's being aged on January 1st) and he shares it with my older brother Tim, my young Lurcher Toby and also 2 of our hens Julia and Bridget, so major celebrations are approaching...!

Mel schooling Piper.

No comments:

Post a Comment